New package "unicornscan" , I GIVE UP !
Hans-J. Ullrich
2007-12-05 13:27:17 UTC
Dear mentors,

I suppose, this is all to difficult and complicated for me. As the package is
new, I get MD5-errors and more. So, as this process is too difficult for me,
and is taking to much of long time, I give up.

Sorry, I am not willing to collect all the different docs and reaqd, this is
boring and for one package it is too much of a thing.

Anyway, if someone likes to have a look at the package, I will sent him as an
email, if not, no problem: It is running on my computer.

I was just intend to take part in the community, but it seem not to work.

And please: Do not write me, "read here", "read there", "read somewhere!",
really, for some few questions, I am not willing to read hours lots of stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Regards

Hans-J. Ullrich
Leo "costela" Antunes
2007-12-05 13:57:29 UTC
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
I suppose, this is all to difficult and complicated for me. As the package is
new, I get MD5-errors and more. So, as this process is too difficult for me,
and is taking to much of long time, I give up.
Sorry to hear that.
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Sorry, I am not willing to collect all the different docs and reaqd, this is
boring and for one package it is too much of a thing.
Unfortunately, if you want to maintain a package for Debian, that means
you have to be responsible for their state in Debian, understanding how
the packaging process works and so on. So yes, that takes some reading.
Remember that Debian is a big group of people. We need some sort of
organization to be able to work together effectively, so it may take a
bit of learning in order to successfully interact with this community,
even if you just want to get a simple piece of software inside it.

If you don't want to be the maintainer for the package, and instead only
want to have it packaged, you can file a RFP (request for package) bug
to the package 'wnpp'.
Simply using 'reportbug wnpp' and filling in the proper fields should be
enough. It should guide you through.
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Anyway, if someone likes to have a look at the package, I will sent him as an
email, if not, no problem: It is running on my computer.
I was just intend to take part in the community, but it seem not to work.
Again, taking a part in the community takes a bit of learning.
There are many people that want to take part in it and all of them have
questions like you. Many of these questions have already been answered
somewhere, so instead of taking our time to answer personally to each
and every question (time that could be spent improving the quality of
Debian, and which I'm ironically losing myself) we simply direct people
to places where they can find the answers themselves and in the process
they show that they are willing to make an effort to contribute to the
community by learning.
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
And please: Do not write me, "read here", "read there", "read somewhere!",
really, for some few questions, I am not willing to read hours lots of stuff.
If you are not willing to make this effort, it seems you're not willing
to be a part of the community, but perhaps I understand you wrong: if
you're just frustrated because you can't find the answer to your
question where people pointed you to, or because people seem to have
misunderstood your question, please don't hesitate to ask again. But be
patient. We're all volunteers, your questions can take some time to be
answered. You gave up in less then 2 hours, from what I see in your emails.

Remember: your "some few questions" may seem straightforward to you, but
the answers may not be and if they've already been answered somewhere
else, what would be the difference between answering them in a personal
email to you, or reading them in a different place? Just the work of the
person writing you an answer (in this case: me).

At any rate, if you're not interested in making an effort with this
package, I might take it over and package it myself. It seems
interesting, but I'll need to take a better look before committing to it.

Cheers
--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]
Hans-J. Ullrich
2007-12-05 14:23:13 UTC
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Sorry, I am not willing to collect all the different docs and reaqd, this
is boring and for one package it is too much of a thing.
Unfortunately, if you want to maintain a package for Debian, that means
you have to be responsible for their state in Debian, understanding how
the packaging process works and so on. So yes, that takes some reading.
Remember that Debian is a big group of people. We need some sort of
organization to be able to work together effectively, so it may take a
bit of learning in order to successfully interact with this community,
even if you just want to get a simple piece of software inside it.
So please do not misunderstand me. I am really willing to read a lot, when it
is necessary, and actually, in the past I really read a lot. But many things
are not answered in the manuals. So I had had the hope, someone might to lead
the first steps, just as mentors do.
Post by Leo "costela" Antunes
If you don't want to be the maintainer for the package, and instead only
want to have it packaged, you can file a RFP (request for package) bug
to the package 'wnpp'.
Simply using 'reportbug wnpp' and filling in the proper fields should be
enough. It should guide you through.
I do not understand, how it works. The docu mentioned this, too, but there was
no backjground about the process or policy to find.
Post by Leo "costela" Antunes
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Anyway, if someone likes to have a look at the package, I will sent him
as an email, if not, no problem: It is running on my computer.
I was just intend to take part in the community, but it seem not to work.
Again, taking a part in the community takes a bit of learning.
There are many people that want to take part in it and all of them have
questions like you. Many of these questions have already been answered
somewhere, so instead of taking our time to answer personally to each
and every question (time that could be spent improving the quality of
Debian, and which I'm ironically losing myself) we simply direct people
to places where they can find the answers themselves and in the process
they show that they are willing to make an effort to contribute to the
community by learning.
Yes, I know. And I am also knowing, that my little work is not important for
Debian. But I think: If everyone is doing a little bit work for Debian, as
litle as it might be, the whole work together will bring the Debian idea
further on. My little part is more in user teaching and supporting in my home
area, and not coding. Now I wanted to enter a new task. O.k., I failed.
Post by Leo "costela" Antunes
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
And please: Do not write me, "read here", "read there", "read
somewhere!", really, for some few questions, I am not willing to read
hours lots of stuff.
If you are not willing to make this effort, it seems you're not willing
to be a part of the community, but perhaps I understand you wrong: if
you're just frustrated because you can't find the answer to your
question where people pointed you to, or because people seem to have
misunderstood your question, please don't hesitate to ask again. But be
patient. We're all volunteers, your questions can take some time to be
answered. You gave up in less then 2 hours, from what I see in your emails.
Yes, I gave up. I had the feeling, no one was interested in new packages at
all, so I gave up. And yes, I had no fun and the package worked on my
system....
Post by Leo "costela" Antunes
Remember: your "some few questions" may seem straightforward to you, but
the answers may not be and if they've already been answered somewhere
else, what would be the difference between answering them in a personal
email to you, or reading them in a different place? Just the work of the
person writing you an answer (in this case: me).
Thanks, I will remember that. Again: I AM willing to read, but I need help in
the beginning, too.
Post by Leo "costela" Antunes
At any rate, if you're not interested in making an effort with this
package, I might take it over and package it myself. It seems
interesting, but I'll need to take a better look before committing to it.
O.k., I will try a new effort, but when it fails again, I will send you the
whole stuff. Thanky for this !
Post by Leo "costela" Antunes
Cheers
--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]

Hans (frustrated)
Leo "costela" Antunes
2007-12-05 14:51:55 UTC
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Post by Leo "costela" Antunes
If you don't want to be the maintainer for the package, and instead only
want to have it packaged, you can file a RFP (request for package) bug
to the package 'wnpp'.
Simply using 'reportbug wnpp' and filling in the proper fields should be
enough. It should guide you through.
I do not understand, how it works. The docu mentioned this, too, but there was
no backjground about the process or policy to find.
If you're running a Debian system (and you should, since you want to
work with it), you can just type 'man reportbug' to see how it works (it
should be installed by default).
Also take a look at http://bugs.debian.org to acquaint yourself with the
Bug Tracking System (BTS).
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Yes, I know. And I am also knowing, that my little work is not important for
Debian. But I think: If everyone is doing a little bit work for Debian, as
litle as it might be, the whole work together will bring the Debian idea
further on. My little part is more in user teaching and supporting in my home
area, and not coding. Now I wanted to enter a new task. O.k., I failed.
I didn't mean to say that your work is of no importance. Every help
counts! And you can only say you "failed" if you really give up on a two
hour period.
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Yes, I gave up. I had the feeling, no one was interested in new packages at
all, so I gave up. And yes, I had no fun and the package worked on my
system....
Again: you probably got your feeling wrong.
Take a look at http://lists.debian.org, check the lists archives for
debian-mentors and see how new people usually get involved. 2 hours is a
very short period to base your expectations on.
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Thanks, I will remember that. Again: I AM willing to read, but I need help in
the beginning, too.
I understand, that's why we pointed you to some documentation that has
been done specifically to help beginners.
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
O.k., I will try a new effort, but when it fails again, I will send you the
whole stuff. Thanky for this !
That doesn't sound very optimistic.
But even if you do "fail" (by your standards) there's no need to send me
the packages. I can get them from the original website.

Cheers and good luck
--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]
Hans-J. Ullrich
2007-12-05 16:54:18 UTC
Post by Leo "costela" Antunes
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Yes, I know. And I am also knowing, that my little work is not important
for Debian. But I think: If everyone is doing a little bit work for
Debian, as litle as it might be, the whole work together will bring the
Debian idea further on. My little part is more in user teaching and
supporting in my home area, and not coding. Now I wanted to enter a new
task. O.k., I failed.
I didn't mean to say that your work is of no importance. Every help
counts! And you can only say you "failed" if you really give up on a two
hour period.
Yes, and because of this I started again and succeeded ! I am not the kind of
man, who is fast giving up. But when things are only frustating and fun is
becoming zero, then the time is, to change things.
Post by Leo "costela" Antunes
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Yes, I gave up. I had the feeling, no one was interested in new packages
at all, so I gave up. And yes, I had no fun and the package worked on my
system....
Again: you probably got your feeling wrong.
Take a look at http://lists.debian.org, check the lists archives for
debian-mentors and see how new people usually get involved. 2 hours is a
very short period to base your expectations on.
I understood, and I reacted. I tried again. So, why should I fail, when other
people succeed ?
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
O.k., I will try a new effort, but when it fails again, I will send you
the whole stuff. Thanky for this !
That doesn't sound very optimistic.
But even if you do "fail" (by your standards) there's no need to send me
the packages. I can get them from the original website.
Cheers and good luck
--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]
Thank you very much for your help ! My packages are now uploaded and can be
tested or changed, whatever.

Kind regards !

Hans
Adriaan Peeters
2007-12-06 15:59:47 UTC
Hi,
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Thank you very much for your help ! My packages are now uploaded and can be
tested or changed, whatever.
I am not a DD (yet) so I cannot upload your package. Here are some
problems/remarks I noticed after a (very) quick look:

- debian/changelog: remove the template text 'nnnn is the bug number...'
and replace the #nnnn with your ITP bug number. If you do not have this
yet, submit it.

- debian/control: make sure the description line is not longer than 80
characters move the rest to the long description.

- debian/copyright: remove the template text at the bottom

- debian/dirs: remove this file since those are standard directories

- debian/docs: only include docs here that are relevant for Debian, for
example README.osx might not be needed.

- debian/rules: clean out template stuff

Finally, please fix this lintian warning:
http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist?action=details;package=unicornscan

Cheers,
Adriaan Peeters
Felipe Sateler
2007-12-05 15:08:46 UTC
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Yes, I gave up. I had the feeling, no one was interested in new packages
at all, so I gave up. And yes, I had no fun and the package worked on my
system....
The first steps in the mentoring process are usually the most frustrating
ones: you post questins and/or packages and you don't get any reply. I
think most of us have started that way. The problem is that, without
an "insider" to help you out, you are relying on complete strangers that
may or may not have the time, interest and energy to help you out.
However, there is hope!
After a while you get to know people, and then the process makes itself
easier: you are no longer asking questions in the wild, but rather to a
person you know, which makes a _huge_ difference in response.
Felipe Sateler
Hans-J. Ullrich
2007-12-05 16:47:31 UTC
Post by Felipe Sateler
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
Yes, I gave up. I had the feeling, no one was interested in new packages
at all, so I gave up. And yes, I had no fun and the package worked on my
system....
The first steps in the mentoring process are usually the most frustrating
ones: you post questins and/or packages and you don't get any reply. I
think most of us have started that way. The problem is that, without
an "insider" to help you out, you are relying on complete strangers that
may or may not have the time, interest and energy to help you out.
However, there is hope!
After a while you get to know people, and then the process makes itself
easier: you are no longer asking questions in the wild, but rather to a
person you know, which makes a _huge_ difference in response.
--
Felipe Sateler
So I am not the only "dump" man among the professionels in this area. Good to
know ! Meanwhile I managed to load up my package. I suppose, someone will
check this now (or not) and I have to wait, if there will be feedback.

Maybe, someone will fix the easy things, if there are any. If everything
fails, o.k., just another point in my life, where I added learning things.

I think, Linux should be fun, so the work will get best quality.

Kind regards

Hans
Bernd Zeimetz
2007-12-05 17:39:39 UTC
Felipe Sateler
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
So I am not the only "dump" man among the professionels in this area. Good to
know ! Meanwhile I managed to load up my package. I suppose, someone will
check this now (or not) and I have to wait, if there will be feedback.
it's more easy if you post a RFS template on the list, as described on
mentors.debian.net. It makes life more easy for sponsors - not everybody
knows every language/...., so sponsors pick packages they would be able
to maintain themselves. If you'd come up with a package in the language
FOO and I don't know FOO, it wouldn't make sense if I'd try to sponsor
the package for you, I wouldn't understand the source.
--
Bernd Zeimetz
<***@bzed.de> <http://bzed.de/>
Joe Smith
2007-12-06 16:57:46 UTC
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
I think, Linux should be fun, so the work will get best quality.
On that you are definately not alone. Linus Torvalds himself agrees, as does
nearly everybody involved with this project.

However, even fun things can be frustrating on occasion.

Hans-J. Ullrich
2007-12-05 15:01:19 UTC
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
[...]
O.k., I tried again from the beginning.
Now the "MD5-error" is gone. But I cannot get access to the
mentor-upload-server. What do I do wrong ? This is my output:

------------ snip ----------------

dupload -t mentors unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64.changes
Uploading (scpb) to mentors.debian.net:~
[ job unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64 from unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64.changes
announce (unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64.changes) to ***@mentors.debian.net
will be sent
unicornscan_0.4.7.orig.tar.gz, md5sum ok
unicornscan_0.4.7-1.diff.gz, md5sum ok
unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64.deb, md5sum ok
unicornscan_0.4.7-1.dsc, md5sum ok
unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64.changes ok ]
Uploading (scp) to mentors (mentors.debian.net)
[ Uploading job unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64
unicornscan_0.4.7.orig.tar.gz 3105.1 kB, ok
unicornscan_0.4.7-1.diff.gz 10.4 kB, ok
unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64.deb 748.3 kB, ok
unicornscan_0.4.7-1.dsc 0.6 kB, ok
unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64.changes 1.0 kB, ok
Permission denied (publickey).
lost connection
dupload fatal error: scp unicornscan_0.4.7.orig.tar.gz
unicornscan_0.4.7-1.diff.gz unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64.deb
unicornscan_0.4.7-1.dsc unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64.changes failed
at /usr/bin/dupload line 605

--------------- snap ---------------

I generated a public key today and used this for mentors-server, as requested
and verified it, too.

Everything went fine.

regards

Hans
David Bremner
2007-12-05 15:45:10 UTC
Hans-J> dupload -t mentors unicornscan_0.4.7-1_amd64.changes
Hans-J> Uploading (scp) to mentors.debian.net:~

You need to use ftp, rather than scp to upload to mentors
here is my dupload.conf. I think the default must be ftp, because I
don't see anything here to force ftp. Here is my .dupload.conf

package config;

$cfg{'mentors'} =
{
fqdn => 'mentors.debian.net',
incoming => '/',
dinstall_runs => 1,
passive => 1,
};

1;

Hans-J> I generated a public key today and used this for
Hans-J> mentors-server, as requested and verified it, too.

Unfortunately GPG public keys and SSH are different. But you only need
the GPG key to sign, not upload, so you have all the keys you need.

Hope this helps,

Bernd Zeimetz
2007-12-05 16:09:01 UTC
Post by David Bremner
You need to use ftp, rather than scp to upload to mentors
here is my dupload.conf. I think the default must be ftp, because I
don't see anything here to force ftp. Here is my .dupload.conf
package config;
$cfg{'mentors'} =
{
fqdn => 'mentors.debian.net',
incoming => '/',
dinstall_runs => 1,
passive => 1,
};
1;
Which is pretty much what
http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/maintainer-intro says. Hans, please go
and _read_ the page. It answer all the question you have, and the
question you will have soon for sure.
--
Bernd Zeimetz
<***@bzed.de> <http://bzed.de/>
Basile STARYNKEVITCH
2007-12-05 13:38:20 UTC
Post by Hans-J. Ullrich
I was just intend to take part in the community, but it seem not to work.
And please: Do not write me, "read here", "read there", "read somewhere!",
really, for some few questions, I am not willing to read hours lots of stuff.
Too bad! reading all this stuff (which has been carefully written by
days of debating & designing - so has a real value) is the price to pay
to be part of the community.

There is some (deep) logic in the debian packaging system, and the rules
are there to help debian developers.

BTW, I do know that and never managed to package any software, so I say
bravo to your effort, even if you abort it now!

Regards.
--
Basile STARYNKEVITCH http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/