fed (fedit) seeking a linux home
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-03-19 20:10:49 UTC
Hi Debian Mentors,

I am a long-time user of *nano *- in fact it replaced my use of *pico *-
but in 2011 after I made a request to the nano people and that was
categorically denied, I decided to make an editor for linux using ncurses
that was a little more modern and similar to editors found on desktop PCs
like Windows and Mac. That's how *fed *(fedit) started.

It has the feel of nano combined with feel of, say, Notepad++ or KomodoEdit.

Anyway, I was within 3 or 4 features of what I would call a version 1.0,
when I hit a roadblock trying to get it into a distro and decided to give
up for a while. Looking back at all of the features I packed into it, I
know it deserves a home among the other terminal editors like emacs, vi,
nano et al. It's really _different_ than those editors, and should be able
to stand on its own. The problem is, not many people know about it or have
it as a part of their linux experience.

I've been using Debian since 1991 and I really would love it to be a part
of the apt-get package downloading system, officially supported! I have
some time to devote to this, but not a ton, but I want to persevere so I
can apt-get nano and also apt-get fed

I'm willing to change to license it however it must be, I just really want
people to experience some of the awesome features of fed

*fed *incorporates some of the greatest features of an ncurses editor, but
also in a familiar way regarding keystroes, and it has a 'perfect amount of
features' rather than an absolute ton as its core offering. It can be
extended through short scripts using a plugin interface, in virtually any
scripting language, but especially PHP, python, perl, shell scripts (so
anything really).

A video (which covers pretty much EVERYTHING AWESOME about fed and its
prepackaged PHP plugins) is here:

And the source is here, if anyone wants to try it out on their box:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fed

I'd love to find a sponsor and have *fed* just an apt-get away on any
Debian distro (Ubuntu etc) .. at least, that's what i'm trying to
accomplish.

TIA
-h3rb
Gianfranco Costamagna
2016-04-04 13:50:29 UTC
Hi Herbert

if you want to maintain the package in Debian it would be easier to find a sponsor.

you might want to start from there
https://wiki.debian.org/IntroDebianPackaging

you will probably need to check lintian and check-all-the-things to first review your packaging.

after that, please upload to mentors.debian.net and open an RFS bug

cheers,

G.

http://youtu.be/vsc_NzxK67k

-h3rb
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-05 04:10:54 UTC
Having trouble doing the signing. I was able to sign the .deb but not the
.changes, any hints? I couldn't rectify the situation online yet

-h3rb
Gianfranco Costamagna
2016-04-05 06:22:59 UTC
Hi,
Having trouble doing the signing. I was able to sign the .deb but not the .changes, any hints? I couldn't rectify the situation online yet
debsign filename_version.changes

maybe you have to export your key on ~/.devscripts.

e.g. for my key

DEBSIGN_KEYID='92978A6E195E4921825F7FF0F34F09744E9F5DD9'

cheers,

G.

-h3rb
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-05 14:28:10 UTC
Ok, nearly there... thanks for the help, still struggling on one thing,
here is the term log but basically the deb sig doesn't match the other two
and i'm not sure why. i even tried replacing it:

[10:18:21 main]$ debsigs -sign=origin -default-key="Herb Gilliland (fed
author) <***@gmail.com>" fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <***@gmail.com>"
2048-bit RSA key, ID DE8473B0, created 2016-04-05

[10:07:10 main]$ debsign fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes -k"Herb Gilliland (fed
author) <***@gmail.com>"
signfile fed_0.94a-1.dsc Herb Gilliland (fed author) <
***@gmail.com>

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <***@gmail.com>"
2048-bit RSA key, ID DE8473B0, created 2016-04-05

signfile fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes Herb Gilliland (fed author) <
***@gmail.com>

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <***@gmail.com>"
2048-bit RSA key, ID DE8473B0, created 2016-04-05

Successfully signed dsc and changes files
[~/temp]
debsigs --list fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb
GPG signatures in fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb:
origin: signed by AA74DF0CDE8473B0 on Mon Apr 4 23:21:48 2016
*** NO ATTEMPT HAS BEEN MADE TO VERIFY THE LISTED SIGNATURES ***
[~/temp]
[10:09:13 main]$ debsig-verify fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb
debsig: Could not open Origin dir /etc/debsig/policies/AA74DF0CDE8473B0: No
such file or directory

[~/temp]
[10:09:24 main]$ debsigs --delete=origin fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb

[10:18:21 main]$ debsigs -sign=origin -default-key="Herb Gilliland (fed
author) <***@gmail.com>" fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <***@gmail.com>"
2048-bit RSA key, ID DE8473B0, created 2016-04-05

[~/temp]
[10:20:54 main]$ ls
fed fed_0.94a-1.debian.tar.gz fed_0.94a-1.dsc fed_0.94a-1_i386.build
fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb fed_0.94a.orig.tar.gz
[~/temp]
[10:20:56 main]$ dput mentors fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes
Checking signature on .changes
gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 5 10:07:24 2016 EDT using RSA key ID DE8473B0
gpg: Good signature from "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <
***@gmail.com>"
Good signature on /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes.
Checking signature on .dsc
gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 5 10:07:20 2016 EDT using RSA key ID DE8473B0
gpg: Good signature from "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <
***@gmail.com>"
Good signature on /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1.dsc.
Checksum doesn't match for /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb

10:21:01 main]$ debsigs --list fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb
GPG signatures in fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb:
origin: signed by AA74DF0CDE8473B0 on Tue Apr 5 10:20:51 2016
*** NO ATTEMPT HAS BEEN MADE TO VERIFY THE LISTED SIGNATURES ***

not sure what to do next..

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 2:22 AM, Gianfranco Costamagna <
Hi,
-h3rb
Paul Wise
2016-04-05 14:36:58 UTC
Ok, nearly there... thanks for the help, still struggling on one thing, here
is the term log but basically the deb sig doesn't match the other two and
[10:18:21 main]$ debsigs -sign=origin -default-key="Herb Gilliland (fed
Debian does not use signed .deb files (debsigs), only signed .changes
and .dsc files (debsign).
--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise
Steffen Möller
2016-04-06 01:42:53 UTC
Hello,
Post by Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
Ok, nearly there... thanks for the help, still struggling on one
thing, here is the term log but basically the deb sig doesn't match
[10:18:21 main]$ debsigs -sign=origin -default-key="Herb Gilliland
You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
2048-bit RSA key, ID DE8473B0, created 2016-04-05
[10:07:10 main]$ debsign fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes -k"Herb Gilliland
signfile fed_0.94a-1.dsc Herb Gilliland (fed author)
You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
2048-bit RSA key, ID DE8473B0, created 2016-04-05
signfile fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes Herb Gilliland (fed author)
You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
2048-bit RSA key, ID DE8473B0, created 2016-04-05
Successfully signed dsc and changes files
At this stage you are done. Looks good. The .debs are not signed but the
signed .dsc file offers the MD5 hash values.

[omitting the debsigs bits]

You tell dput to e.g. upload the .changes files to mentors (or the
ftp-masters for your sponsor) and it will ftp the changes file and all
the other files referenced within with it.

Congratulations!

Steffen
<http://mentors.debian.net> and open an RFS bug
-h3rb
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-06 23:12:24 UTC
Thanks all.. except:

[19:11:24 main]$ dput -f mentors fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes
Checking signature on .changes
gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 5 10:07:24 2016 EDT using RSA key ID DE8473B0
gpg: Good signature from "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <
***@gmail.com>"
Good signature on /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes.
Checking signature on .dsc
gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 5 10:07:20 2016 EDT using RSA key ID DE8473B0
gpg: Good signature from "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <
***@gmail.com>"
Good signature on /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1.dsc.
Checksum doesn't match for /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb

Is this " done "?
Hello,
"
-h3rb
Steffen Möller
2016-04-07 00:19:55 UTC
Post by Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
[19:11:24 main]$ dput -f mentors fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes
Checking signature on .changes
gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 5 10:07:24 2016 EDT using RSA key ID DE8473B0
gpg: Good signature from "Herb Gilliland (fed author)
Good signature on /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes.
Checking signature on .dsc
gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 5 10:07:20 2016 EDT using RSA key ID DE8473B0
gpg: Good signature from "Herb Gilliland (fed author)
Good signature on /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1.dsc.
Checksum doesn't match for /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb
Is this " done "?
Admittedly - not so. Your previous email has shown that you already know
much more about it all than )you need to know to produce a working
package. It must be something ... weird. I expect you to experience
what you experienced if you once ran everything successfully and then
decided to run "fakeroot ./debian/rules binary" again or so, such that
debs and the changes are no longer in sync.

If you do not mind too much, please remove all the debs of yours and the
changes and dsc files, i.e. only leave the source tree with the debian
folder and you orig.tar.xz (gz, bz2, whatever) file and rebuild the
package.

To build, I use
dpkg-buildpackge -rfakeroot -uc -us
from within the source tree and the compressed tarball in .. .

You then find the newly created .changes and .dsc and .debs in .., too.

I then typically
cd..
and
debsign -kMYK3YID *.changes

This -k option to debsign is helpful for sponsoring, i.e. when the
maintainer is not the one signing for the upload. It also helps to
disambiguate should you have multiple keys matching your email address,
so I was mentioning it here.

And dput should just work, then. Send me (or Gianfranco) a reference to
your packaging work if not. Sponsoring implies to rebuild, anyway.

Good luck!

Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-07 00:30:36 UTC
Steffen,

Thanks. One discrepancy was that I was attempting HTTP before, though I
did switch to ftp ... regardless, following your instructions, I was able
to FTP properly!

However, after uploading, my package did not appear under "my packages" at
mentors.debian.net -- is this not instantaneous, or does it take some
amount of time longer than a few minutes?

My name on mentors: Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
My name in signage: Herb Gilliland

Email is identical, though.

Doesn't appear on mentors.debian.net either for today.. but maybe I'm just
expecting it too soon?

-h

p.s. log:

[20:25:16 main]$ dput mentors-ftp fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes
Checking signature on .changes
gpg: Signature made Wed Apr 6 20:24:49 2016 EDT using RSA key ID DE8473B0
gpg: Good signature from "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <
***@gmail.com>"
Good signature on /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes.
Checking signature on .dsc
gpg: Signature made Wed Apr 6 20:24:46 2016 EDT using RSA key ID DE8473B0
gpg: Good signature from "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <
***@gmail.com>"
Good signature on /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1.dsc.
Uploading to mentors-ftp (via ftp to mentors.debian.net):
Uploading fed_0.94a-1.dsc: done.
Uploading fed_0.94a.orig.tar.gz: done.
Uploading fed_0.94a-1.debian.tar.gz: done.
Uploading fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb: done.
Uploading fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes: done.
Successfully uploaded packages.
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-07 00:32:20 UTC
I guess AFAIK from FAQ

How long will it take until my upload is available to sponsors?

If you upload via FTP, which you must do if a package is too large for the
HTTP uploader, then there can be up to a 30 minute delay before your
package gets processed.

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 8:30 PM, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <
Steffen
Steffen Möller
2016-04-07 00:37:04 UTC
Sounds large ;)

Thumbs pressed.

Steffen
packages" at mentors.debian.net <http://mentors.debian.net> -- is
Doesn't appear on mentors.debian.net <http://mentors.debian.net>
[...]
On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 8:19 PM, Steffen Möller
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-07 04:31:19 UTC
Well, it's not large.. um, yeah no dice still no packages appearing under
"my packages"
Post by Steffen Möller
Sounds large ;)
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Steffen
Gianfranco Costamagna
2016-04-07 06:26:15 UTC
I usually do
dpkg-buildpackage -S -sa

dput mentors ../packagename_version_source.changes

this should work.

my ~/.dput.cf
[mentors]
method = ftp
fqdn = mentors.debian.net
incoming = .
login = anonymous

I use dput-ng, and I have my public key on mentors, under my account.

(well, I don't use mentors anymore, but I used to)

G.

Il Giovedì 7 Aprile 2016 6:32, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <***@gmail.com> ha scritto:

Well, it's not large.. um, yeah no dice still no packages appearing under "my packages"

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Steffen Möller <***@gmx.de> wrote:

Sounds large ;)
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-07 06:34:43 UTC
G,

I wasn't able to use that dput.cf, but I did use your dpkg-* info .. I will
see if this time using Steffen's upload method worked.

log:

[02:33:54 main]$ dput mentors-ftp fed_0.94a-1_source.changes
Checking signature on .changes
gpg: Signature made Thu Apr 7 02:32:10 2016 EDT using RSA key ID DE8473B0
gpg: Good signature from "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <
***@gmail.com>"
Good signature on /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1_source.changes.
Checking signature on .dsc
gpg: Signature made Thu Apr 7 02:32:07 2016 EDT using RSA key ID DE8473B0
gpg: Good signature from "Herb Gilliland (fed author) <
***@gmail.com>"
Good signature on /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1.dsc.
Uploading to mentors-ftp (via ftp to mentors.debian.net):
Uploading fed_0.94a-1.dsc: done.
Uploading fed_0.94a.orig.tar.gz: done.
Uploading fed_0.94a-1.debian.tar.gz: done.
Uploading fed_0.94a-1_source.changes: done.
Successfully uploaded packages.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Gianfranco Costamagna <
Post by Gianfranco Costamagna
I usually do
dpkg-buildpackage -S -sa
dput mentors ../packagename_version_source.changes
this should work.
my ~/.dput.cf
[mentors]
method = ftp
fqdn = mentors.debian.net
incoming = .
login = anonymous
I use dput-ng, and I have my public key on mentors, under my account.
(well, I don't use mentors anymore, but I used to)
G.
Il Giovedì 7 Aprile 2016 6:32, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <
Well, it's not large.. um, yeah no dice still no packages appearing under "my packages"
Sounds large ;)
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-07 06:42:02 UTC
[02:41:29 main]$ dput mentors-ftp fed_0.94a-1_source.changes
Package has already been uploaded to mentors-ftp on mentors.debian.net
Nothing more to do for fed_0.94a-1_source.changes

Still not showing up under 'my packages'... fingers are now crossed

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:34 AM, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <
[...]
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Steffen
Gianfranco Costamagna
2016-04-07 07:08:07 UTC
strange, I did look at ftp://mentors.debian.net/ and I didn't see them
(they disappear once accepted)

maybe you can double check your gpg key here
https://mentors.debian.net/my

gpg --recv-keys DE8473B0
gpg: requesting key DE8473B0 from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
gpgkeys: key DE8473B0 not found on keyserver
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

seems that your key isn't on global keyservers, check at least it is on
mentors.

G.

Il Giovedì 7 Aprile 2016 8:35, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <***@gmail.com> ha scritto:

[...]

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Gianfranco Costamagna <***@debian.org> wrote:

I usually do
Post by Gianfranco Costamagna
dpkg-buildpackage -S -sa
dput mentors ../packagename_version_source.changes
this should work.
my ~/.dput.cf
[mentors]
method = ftp
fqdn = mentors.debian.net
incoming = .
login = anonymous
I use dput-ng, and I have my public key on mentors, under my account.
(well, I don't use mentors anymore, but I used to)
G.
Well, it's not large.. um, yeah no dice still no packages appearing under "my packages"
Sounds large ;)
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-08 06:04:45 UTC
*Change GPG key*
Current GPG key: 2048R/DE8473B0
Delete current key:
GPG key:
Please use the output of gpg ...

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 3:08 AM, Gianfranco Costamagna <
[...]
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-09 18:46:54 UTC
I see that "roadfighter' uploaded correctly. Any hints on what i'm doing
wrong for "fed"?

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 2:04 AM, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <
[...]
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-09 23:35:26 UTC
Ok I sent the gpg key to the keys.gnupg.net server

Now what?

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <
[...]
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
.
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-09 23:39:37 UTC
[19:33:00 main]$ gpg --send-keys DE8473B0
gpg: sending key DE8473B0 to hkp server keys.gnupg.net

[19:38:31 main]$ gpg --refresh-keys
gpg: refreshing 1 key from hkp://keys.gnupg.net
gpg: requesting key DE8473B0 from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
gpgkeys: key 76860CC4ADB94766DAAD5EB6AA74DF0CDE8473B0 not found on keyserver
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <
[...]
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Post by Steffen Möller
[...]
.. .
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-09 23:50:54 UTC
[19:50:36 main]$ gpg --search-keys DE8473B0
gpg: searching for "DE8473B0" from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
(1) Herb Gilliland (fed author) <***@gmail.com>
2048 bit RSA key 76860CC4ADB94766DAAD5EB6AA74DF0CDE8473B0,
created: 2016-04-05
Keys 1-1 of 1 for "DE8473B0". Enter number(s), N)ext, or Q)uit >

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 7:39 PM, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <
[...]
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-10 00:01:23 UTC
Ok I bumped the version by .01 and re-uploaded now that my key is in
keys.gnupg.net

Said it was uploaded successfuly, but still doesn't appear

Is it because my GPG email is not exactly like my mentors account?
Otherwise, I feel like I've got everything set up with gpg.. sorry this is
such a headache. Why not let ppl upload via nifty HTML form? Meh anyway...

Maybe it will show up soon.. :(

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <
[...]
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Post by Steffen Möller
Post by Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
DE8473B0
gpg: Good signature from "Herb Gilliland (fed author)
Good signature on /home/main/temp/fed_0.94a-1.dsc.
Uploading to mentors-ftp (via ftp to mentors.debian.net
Uploading fed_0.94a-1.dsc: done.
Uploading fed_0.94a.orig.tar.gz: done.
Uploading fed_0.94a-1.debian.tar.gz: done.
Uploading fed_0.94a-1_i386.deb: done.
Uploading fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes: done.
Successfully uploaded packages.
On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 8:19 PM, Steffen Möller
Post by Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
[19:11:24 main]$ dput -f mentors
fed_0.94a-1_i386.changes
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-10 00:03:05 UTC
Index of /
Name Size Date Modified
dislocker-dbgsym_0.6.1-1_amd64.deb
<ftp://mentors.debian.net/dislocker-dbgsym_0.6.1-1_amd64.deb> 20.1 kB 4/9/16,
9:21:00 PM
dislocker_0.6.1-1.debian.tar.xz
<ftp://mentors.debian.net/dislocker_0.6.1-1.debian.tar.xz> 7.4 kB 4/9/16,
9:21:00 PM
dislocker_0.6.1-1.dsc <ftp://mentors.debian.net/dislocker_0.6.1-1.dsc> 2.0
kB 4/9/16, 9:21:00 PM
dislocker_0.6.1-1_amd64.deb
<ftp://mentors.debian.net/dislocker_0.6.1-1_amd64.deb> 18.5 kB 4/9/16,
9:21:00 PM
dislocker_0.6.1.orig.tar.gz
<ftp://mentors.debian.net/dislocker_0.6.1.orig.tar.gz> 97.5 kB 4/9/16,
9:21:00 PM
fed_0.95a-1.debian.tar.gz
<ftp://mentors.debian.net/fed_0.95a-1.debian.tar.gz> 648 B 4/9/16, 11:59:00
PM
fed_0.95a-1.dsc <ftp://mentors.debian.net/fed_0.95a-1.dsc> 1.3 kB 4/9/16,
11:59:00 PM
fed_0.95a-1_source.changes
<ftp://mentors.debian.net/fed_0.95a-1_source.changes> 1.6 kB 4/9/16,
11:59:00 PM
fed_0.95a.orig.tar.gz <ftp://mentors.debian.net/fed_0.95a.orig.tar.gz> 249
kB 4/9/16, 11:59:00 PM
libdislocker0-dev_0.6.1-1_amd64.deb
<ftp://mentors.debian.net/libdislocker0-dev_0.6.1-1_amd64.deb> 18.3 kB 4/9/16,
9:21:00 PM
libdislocker0.6-dbgsym_0.6.1-1_amd64.deb
<ftp://mentors.debian.net/libdislocker0.6-dbgsym_0.6.1-1_amd64.deb>
82.2 kB 4/9/16,
9:21:00 PM
libdislocker0.6_0.6.1-1_amd64.deb
<ftp://mentors.debian.net/libdislocker0.6_0.6.1-1_amd64.deb> 36.1 kB 4/9/16,
9:21:00 PM

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <
[...]
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-10 00:10:42 UTC
Hi.

Your upload of the package 'fed' to mentors.debian.net was
successful. Others can now see it. The URL of your package is:
http://mentors.debian.net/package/fed

The respective dsc file can be found at:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/f/fed/fed_0.95a-1.dsc

If you do not yet have a sponsor for your package you may want to go to
http://mentors.debian.net/sponsors/rfs-howto/fed
and set the "Seeking a sponsor" option to highlight your package on the
welcome page.

You can also send an RFS (request for sponsorship) to the debian-mentors
mailing list. Your package page will give your suggestions on how to
send that mail.

Good luck in finding a sponsor!

Thanks,

YAY

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 8:03 PM, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <
[...]
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Steffen
Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
2016-04-10 00:30:10 UTC
Finally, I just wanted to say that it does seem to show that i don't need a
sponsor, is that because someone sponsored it or did I do something wrong?

TIA
-h

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 8:10 PM, Herbert Elwood Gilliland III <
[...]
Post by Steffen Möller
Thumbs pressed.
Steffen
Steffen
Ben Finney
2016-04-10 01:20:14 UTC
Post by Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
Finally, I just wanted to say
Herbert, email correspondence is an important part of being a Debian
package maintainer. Please take the time to compose messages with
consideration to the recipients. In particular:

* Post your replies interleaved, not top-posted. See the article
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style>.

* Remove material not relevant to your response; don't preserve the
entirety of past messages in every subsequent message.

* On the other hand, keep (or re-insert) contextual information that
will help a reader understand your reply. Summarise, if it's long.

* While composing a message, consider whether a few more minutes will
allow you to gather extra information useful to your message. If so,
gather that information and post one message rather than six in a row.

* Consider who needs to receive the message; remove people from the
recipient fields if there's no reason to send it to them.

* Consider whether the discussion topic has shifted; if so, modify the
“Subject” field to be a summary of the current topic of discussion.
Post by Herbert Elwood Gilliland III
it does seem to show that i don't need a sponsor, is that because
someone sponsored it or did I do something wrong?
When you visit the package page for a package you submitted, it is you
that gets to specify whether the package needs a sponsor. See the page
(e.g. <URL:https://mentors.debian.net/package/FOOBAR> where “FOOBAR” is
the package name) for the options you can change.
--
\ “A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.” |
`\ —Oscar Wilde, _The Portrait of Mr. W. H._, 1889-07 |